About the Recipe
with Roasted Sesame Cabbage Slaw. Throw it on tacos, gently place them on a salad, or devour them by the handful. It's like the Korean Fried Chicken you love, but with SHRIMP.
• 1 pound medium raw, shelled, and deveined shrimp
• 1 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half and half
• 1 cup potato starch or cornstarch
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• canola oil for frying
• 2 chopped green onions for garnish
• 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for garnish
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• ⅓ cup ketchup
• ⅓ cup honey
• ¼ cup gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
• 2 tablespoon apricot jam
• 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
• 2 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
• 1 bag of cabbage Slaw mix in a bag OR 3 cups of shredded cabbage.
• 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
• 2 chopped green onions (whites and greens)
• 1/4 cup Roasted Sesame Dressing (Can be found at your local Asian Store or Amazon.com. our favorite brand is Kewpie.)
In a bowl add the shrimp and cream and stir to coat all the shrimp. Let sit for 10-15 minutes then drain. In a dutch oven or fryer add 2-3 inches of canola or vegetable oil and heat to 375 degrees.
Mix potato starch, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Coat the shrimp in potato starch seasoning mix.
Fry the shrimp until lightly brown, 1-3 minutes, depending on how big the shrimp are.
Once fried, coat with the Sweet and Spicy Korean sauce, top with the Roasted Sesame Slaw and garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately!
Heat the 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic until light brown for about 30 seconds.
Add the ketchup, honey, gochujang, apricot jam, soy sauce, and vinegar. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to low and stir until bubbling. Remove from the heat.
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss together until all the slaw is dressed. Serve as a base, side dish or to make tacos with the shrimp.